
The area
Crai is a small village centred around the village hall, just off the A4067. It was formed around a shop, post office and railway station, all of which have now closed. The community stretches out along the Crai and Tryweryn Valley’s and consists mainly of scattered livestock farms. In recent years many of these have diversified into tourism.
The church
St. ILid’s Church Crai is a warm welcoming and caring congregation, where each service is followed by a time of catching up, ‘sgwrs’ and sharing over a cuppa. We welcome all ages, both regulars and guests staying in the community and try to make the service accessible to all.
The church, now standing a little outside the centre of the village, was built in the late 19th century. It replaced the original Chapel of Ease which was built at the northern end of the valley of Cray on a farm now called Tircapel. It was a simple rectangular Celtic type church situated along the Roman road and dedicated to Ilid a daughter of Brychan Brycheiniog.
That church or ‘Capel Bach’ as it was known had its origin in very early times as is proved by the ogham stone to be found in Llywel church. The original site of which was undoubtedly the graveyard of Capel Bach.
In 1881 Cray was formed into a new ecclesiastical district and it was agreed there should be a new church built in a more central position. Originally the church was supposed to accommodate 200 people but after consultation it was agreed that 150 would be sufficient. A new church was constructed not far from the Cray railway station at an estimated cost of £1000 of which £600 of that was raised by subscription from the local community. On the 25th of April 1882 the foundation stone was laid on land which was given as a gift by Mrs. Williams Maescarnog. The architect was Mr Fowler and the church was built in the old English style. On the 27th of March 1883 the church was consecrated by the Bishop of St David.
The church now has some lovely stained glass windows which have been donated over the years. There is also an interesting memorial in the churchyard:-“in loving memory of those who died during the construction of the Swansea corporation works, Cray reservoir. Directed by all those employed on the undertaking works commenced 1898 finished 1906”.
Churchwarden and Ministry Area Council Member
Churchwarden – Marian Jones email: marian518@hotmail.co.uk
Ministry Area Council Member – Elizabeth Mary email: elisabethmary2025@outlook.com

